How to choose a good thermos — recommendations and reviews of brands
To keep the temperature of tea, a soft drink, a hot three-course dinner, a variety of thermoses are used. Boiling water in a high-quality container does not cool down even in the cold for 12 hours, and the ice does not melt on the hottest day. There are a lot of offers from European, Asian and domestic manufacturers on the market of isothermal cookware. In order not to be disappointed in the purchase, it is advisable to know in advance how to choose a thermos.
- Types of thermoses: description, purpose
- Classification of heat-resistant vessels
- Choosing a thermos according to the main criteria
- Temperature retention time
- opening system
- Additional accessories
- Selection Tips
- Popular manufacturers
- Purchase quality control
Types of thermoses: description, purpose
Vessels designed to maintain a constant temperature of food (drinks) consist of the following elements:
- an outer housing located at a short distance from the flask;
- a neck connecting the inner and outer shells;
Heat transfer is significantly reduced due to the gap between the bulb and the outer wall, filled with air or vacuum. To reduce heat loss from the inside, the flask is polished, covered with a heat-insulating layer on top, and the lid is insulated with a foam cylinder.
Classification of heat-resistant vessels
Depending on the purpose, thermoses for home use are divided into several types.
For tea and other drinks
A vessel for coffee, tea, water, compote is most often a vertical cylinder. The neck has a diameter of 25 to 75 mm, is closed with an internal stopper to seal the flask and is covered with an outer lid (this part of the body acts as a mug).
In addition to models of traditional design and size, there are two other types of thermos for drinks:
- pump-action — it has a large volume, there is a mechanical button in the lid that allows you to withdraw liquid using a pneumatic pump, without opening a thermos;
- thermo mug — made in the form of a cup with a handle and a lid.
Used to store solid or crumbly foods, as well as ready meals — soup, meat, porridge, salads, desserts. They are characterized by a large mouth, convenient for loading and in food.
In addition to a wide neck, they are equipped with a stopper: if you remove it, the tank is suitable for first and second courses. The cork is usually double — this increases the tightness of the vessel. Sometimes universal models are equipped with a folding handle to simplify carrying.
Sudkovy (thermal containers)
They consist of an inner glass, an outer body and several vessels for different dishes, installed one above the other. A bread container can be placed on top. Vessels are made of heat-resistant plastic, they are light, quickly removed.
Products of this type are made from dense textiles or food-grade plastic. The internal PVC coating keeps the temperature at the same level. Thermal bags are used for short-term storage of food on a walk with a child, on the road or at home.
One of the important characteristics of a thermos is the material of the inner tank. The flask can be made of plastic, glass, metal. Plastic is sometimes used in cheap models. When heated, it deforms, leading to delamination of particles of mirror coating, which enter the human body.
Important: If the plastic is not food grade, it releases toxic substances when the temperature rises. Such a product is potentially safe if the water from it is not used for food, but is used, for example, to warm baby food bottles.
Often buyers are interested in which thermos is better: with a glass flask or a metal one? Each of them has its pros and cons. A glass glass is easy to clean and keeps a stable temperature for a long time, but it has increased fragility — such a product is suitable for home use. It is safer to take a model with a stainless steel flask on a hiking trip: it is resistant to impacts (but at the same time massive, prone to the formation of plaque from welding, loses heat faster).
Choosing a thermos according to the main criteria
The search for the optimal product is carried out taking into account the conditions in which it is planned to operate. General selection criteria are given below.
You can find on sale models of various capacities — from 1 glass to 30-40 liters. There is a pattern: the more capacious the thermos, the longer the food in it retains its original temperature. Products are divided into 3 categories:
- small (from 0.25 to 1 l) — these are compact thermo mugs in which it is convenient to take tea to work or school by placing them in a bag or backpack;
- medium (from 1 to 2 l) — standard models for liquids or universal;
- large (from 3 to 40 liters) — in this category there are thermoses for drinks and thermal containers that allow you to travel by car with a supply of food.
The longer the trip or hike, the more people will use the thermos, the more capacious it should be.
Temperature retention time
Typically, manufacturers apply a digital marking to the body, indicating to what level the initial water temperature will drop after a certain number of hours. For example, Thermos guarantees that water filled at 95 °C in its products will have a value of + 70 °C after 24 hours. By the way, the smaller the neck, the longer the temperature will remain unchanged.
The most common is a screw plug that allows you to pour tea or coffee without unscrewing it completely. The pump option allows you to fill cups without opening the lid and keep your drink hot longer.
If necessary, you can find a thermos with a case, a holder (it is fixed on a bicycle or a stroller), a shoulder strap, and a set of cutlery.
Useful recommendations on which thermos is better to buy in a particular situation, taking into account reviews on the forums:
- To choose a good thermos for food, it is desirable that it has a temperature retention time of at least 8 hours. Products with a compact bowl and a plastic insert are not very tight, the food in them cools down after 4 hours. For hot soups, the option with an all-metal flask is suitable — it can be equipped with containers. A schoolchild can buy a children’s food thermos with a capacity of 0.5 liters without vessels.
- Choose a thermos for tea. To brew herbal infusions at home, you should buy a model with a glass flask that retains heat well. For travel, a product with a shock-resistant metal flask is suitable. In the office, it is better to install a tank with a pump with a capacity of up to 20 liters.
- What thermos to buy for winter fishing? For one person, subject to short-term fishing, a volume of 1.5 liters will suffice. The optimal material is stainless steel, the neck is wide, with a double stopper. A small one is taken out when you need to pour tea, and a large one — to wash the thermos. For outdoor use in winter conditions, a reliable screw plug with an insulating seal is preferred.
When deciding which thermos to choose, you should pay attention to the products of companies that occupy the top places in the sales ratings. Among them are German models under the Termos and LaPlaya brands, Austrian Bergner American Stanley, Swedish Primus, Japanese Zojirushi, Russian Arktika, Biostal and Amet, Chinese Stenson.
One of the first manufacturers of thermoses, now producing more than a hundred different models. In addition to the usual products with a glass or steel flask, customers are offered new products with an alloy tank made using Thermax advanced deep vacuum technology. Products are labeled according to category:
- Genuine Thermos Brand — premium products;
- Thermocafe — thermoses at affordable prices;
- Shuttle Chef — unique products.
The FBB series of thermoses is considered the most successful, the advantages of which are as follows:
- strong flask from spring steel 18/8;
- high-quality thermal insulation — there is a guarantee for a period of 15 years;
- One-click ergonomic valve plug.
The company has been supplying the market with thermoses for food and drinks for more than 100 years. Distinctive features of products from Stanley are effective thermal insulation (depending on the capacity — from 12 to 27 hours), high-quality assembly, and the use of stainless steel flasks. The company’s catalog is very extensive, it includes the following types of thermoses:
- classic, for drinks — from 0.5 to 1.9 l;
- thermo glasses, thermo mugs, thermo bottles (including ceramic-coated flasks) — from 0.3 to 0.7 l, compatible with a car holder;
- thermoses for soups and second courses — from children’s (0.29 l) for schoolchildren to family (0.7 l) for long-distance travel;
- mugs and glasses for beer with a capacity of up to 0.7 liters.
A popular domestic brand confidently competes with foreign brands. Buyers especially liked Biostal thermo mugs, but the company’s product range is much wider. According to the type of execution, stainless steel products are divided into several types:
- Classic. Traditional household thermos, made in a laconic design. The surface of the body is usually silver in color.
- Hunting. Durable model for extreme hikes. Usually a lacquer coating is applied on top: it helps to prevent the metal surface from freezing to the fingers.
- Sport. Compact thermoses for athletes, comfortable to wear and use in any conditions. Their characteristic features are a lacquered surface, a drinking cup, a plastic handle, and a shoulder strap.
- Auto. Mini containers for storing tea, coffee, soft drinks. It is recommended that drivers buy them: the models fit easily in the glove compartment.
- Fler. They have a stylish design, original details, such as a silicone insert.
What to choose — a thermos «Biostal» or «Arktika»? To answer this question, you should familiarize yourself with the most popular brand of domestic food grade stainless steel 18/8 (ANSI 304). Their production is carried out under constant quality control at all stages.
Modern technologies are used, including original developments, for example, the Arctica Storm maximum vacuumization procedure. There are several series of thermoses for various purposes and designs:
- 101-110 — for liquids, with a narrow neck, from 0.35 to 2.2 liters;
- 201-412 — for food, with an enlarged or extra wide opening, for food;
- 501 — with a pump, with a capacity of 2 to 3.5 liters;
- 702 — with a drinker, convenient for athletes, drivers;
- 901 — vessels in the form of a flask.
The company is registered in Germany, where (and also in the Czech Republic) the technology and external design of thermoses are being developed, and their production is located in China. Thanks to this specialization, an optimal price-quality ratio is achieved. The brand’s nomenclature contains about 60 models of different sizes and colors. Among them are the now popular thermo mugs.
A Korean manufacturer of gas burners is successfully mastering the technology of manufacturing thermoses. So far, the range is not too diverse, but the quality of models for tourism, equipped with a steel flask, is very high. The leader of the ratings was the universal thermos Kovea Mega hot KDV-MH1500, suitable for storing food and drinks. Durable collapsible plastic cork creates an additional heat-saving effect, easy to clean. The model is completed with a plastic cup, a folding handle, a shoulder strap.
The Swedish company produces lightweight vacuum thermoses with stainless steel flasks. Among the rich assortment, the following products stand out:
- food — in the form of a cone, with a wide mouth
- for drinks — volumes from 0.25 to 1.2 l;
- flasks — 0.6 and 1 l, straight or with a bent spout (suitable for children, cyclists, athletes);
- thermo mugs — with a plastic case, retaining heat well.
Buyers appreciate the bright color and modern design of Primus products. Comfortable models with silicone anti-slip pads.
A well-known Japanese corporation from its very foundation (1918) specializes in the manufacture of dishes for food preservation. Thin-walled vacuum thermoses made of stainless steel are distinguished by their solid appearance, relatively low weight, and provide long-term retention of the temperature at the initial level. Another plus of Zojirushi products is Teflon coating, which prevents the appearance of a metallic taste in drinks.
Since 1991, the domestic manufacturer has mastered the production of thermoses using Japanese technology. A feature of the products is a double flask made of corrosion-resistant steel, between which there is a deep vacuum. Thermoses «Amet» are not afraid of vibration, shock, retain heat for a long time. The following series are released.
- Premier — compact streamlined thermoses («bullet» type) with a capacity of 0.33-0.5 liters.
- Travel — for hot dishes with a wide opening, for liquids with a narrow neck, universal. Thermoses have a volume of 0.5-1.5 liters, equipped with a cup lid and a carrying strap.
- Spring — designed for liquids, for comfortable pouring there is a spout and a screw plug, which is turned only half a turn. Capacity — from 2.0 to 3.0 liters.
- Geyser — desktop models with a pump and a narrow neck and a volume of 1.75-3.0 liters.
- Express — thermal containers for main dishes. There are options with a one-piece inner vessel, models with 3 containers are also available.
Purchase quality control
Having learned the characteristics of different thermoses, having studied their advantages and disadvantages, buyers want to independently determine the quality of the product right in the store or after delivery home. Expert advice will help you conduct an express test of a future or already completed purchase.
- In order not to make a mistake with the choice, carefully consider the case from the outside. Most often, the manufacturer applies the conventional symbols of the products or drinks for which the thermos is intended.
- The inner surface of the flask should be perfectly smooth, without cracks, dents, chips.
- Regular shaking will help to believe the build quality. If at the same time a rattling or knocking is heard, then the bulb is probably poorly fixed or damaged — it may break at the slightest blow.
- A sharp «chemical» smell, felt when the lid is open, indicates the use of non-food materials.
- To determine in practice which thermos holds heat better, simple tricks will help. The plug is screwed up to the stop and visually check the tightness of its fit to the body. In the presence of even small gaps, the contents of the vessel will quickly cool down. At home, to check the thermos, pour boiling water into it, close tightly and leave for 15-20 minutes. If the case is heated, it means that heat is leaking due to the presence of microcracks in the flask. Defective goods must be returned to the seller.
A quality certified thermos always comes with instructions from the manufacturer. It contains a description of a heat-resistant product, characteristics of materials, postal details of the company, country of manufacture, and warranty obligations.