How to remove puffs on clothes — causes and methods of removal
It happens that a completely new thing loses its appeal and looks sloppy because of a single small puff that managed to sit in plain sight. However, knowledgeable people believe that wherever such a nuisance arises, it is always possible to cope with it, and in a short time.
- Why there are puffs
- Basic ways to remove puffs
- Gently stretch the small toe
- Sewing needle to help
- How to remove puffs depending on the type of fabric
- On satin, silk and chiffon
- What not to do when you see a puff
Why there are puffs
Not a single textile product is immune from the occurrence of hooks and puffs, but they appear in different ways.
- The main and most frequent minor “lingering” troubles are obtained “with the help of” furniture corners, protruding parts of fittings, unreliably twisted screws and not hammered nails.
- Pets with claws often also contribute, expressing their love for their owners by climbing them like a tree.
- The reason may be the structure of the tissue itself. If we talk about wool and other “naturel” materials, then these fabrics are woven from soft threads. Over time, the fibers tend to wear out, forming puffs on the product.
- The clothes care chain, which consists of improper washing, drying, ironing, also naturally leads to the formation of puffs.
ON A NOTE! When machine washing, it is necessary to use a reliable conditioner, otherwise defects in the form of hooks are inevitable.
Basic ways to remove puffs
You can remove the puff in two ways:
- the thread is pulled out from the outside to the inside;
- set it into the fabric itself.
Experienced housewives believe that the more correct option is number two. Because in the first, the thread remains taut, twisting the fabric at the point of tightening and further exacerbating the unpresentability of the garment.
Gently stretch the small toe
If the tightening is small, then the already tested method can be applied by gently pulling the tightened section in different directions. The thread will fall into place, and the product will again take on a neat appearance.
IMPORTANT! The key word here is «carefully». If you overdo it, you can further damage the reanimated thing.
Sewing needle to help
This method is more popular and reliable. The product is carefully straightened — best of all on the table. Lighting should be good; if daylight or ordinary electric light is not enough, lighting should be arranged. To work, you need a thin sewing needle and you may need a magnifying glass. The fabric is lightly sipped to smooth out the path created by the hold.
If the thread does not fall into place, it is carefully pry off three to five millimeters from the place of the hook and part of the “hooked” loop is pulled. Again, retreat from the tightened place and make a small loop. In the direction of movement to the edge, the thread is weakened.
Gradually, the tightening will straighten out and the fabric pattern will be restored. In this method, the most difficult moment is the determination of a hooked thread, for which you need to slightly pull the loop, armed with a magnifying glass, in order to examine it well.
Some make it easier: a thin needle is inserted into the hold in such a way that its eye remains on the outside. The protruding thread is inserted into the eye of the needle and pulled to the wrong side.
How to remove puffs depending on the type of fabric
The work of removing puffs depends on what type of fabric you have to deal with.
What to do if the defect is only a small hook? This can be done using the «pin method» described above. In the event of a gust of thread, when the loops begin to “run away”, a special knitted hook will come to the rescue.
The track is closed, starting from its bottom, and the “final” loop is fixed at the top of the wrong side. The process of ironing and steaming of the knitted fabric is completed, which will help mask the restored area.
Similarly, they restore things knitted from woolen yarn. Puffs on sweaters with a relief pattern or knitted from boucle threads are easy to eliminate with a crochet hook or a large needle.
A small hook, dragging it to the inside, is enough to iron it with an iron. The fiber could catch on, stretch out of the cloth and break. In this case, it is necessary to carefully connect a fiber of a similar color to it, use a hook to raise the “runaway” loops and restore the lowered rows.
Perhaps the easiest way to part with a defect on synthetics. You don’t even need any tools here.
- With both hands they take the product in this way, “determining” the puff exactly in the middle.
- The fabric is carefully pulled until the thread is where it needs to be.
- Then the thing is turned inside out and the manipulation is repeated.
- Refurbished clothes do not need ironing.
On satin, silk and chiffon
A single puff on a relatively new fabric is corrected with a thin needle, pulling the loop inside out with it. Having done this, the material is stretched a couple of times in different directions, setting the thread in place. Finally, these delicate fabrics should be steamed with an iron.
Delicate chiffon is just a «find» for hooks and puffs. Remove them with a thin needle with a «big-eyed» eye.
- The thread is threaded into it so that it is in a double «copy».
- The needle is carefully inserted into the center of the puff, and the thread is passed through the loop with one tail, leaving its second tip outside, then tying them in a knot.
- The fabric is pierced with a needle as close as possible to the puff, and best of all — into the loop that “spawned” it.
- With a thread with knotted ends, the “lingering defect” is extremely carefully brought to the inside of the dress.
- It is recommended to steam the repaired product with an iron with a steamer or through a damp cloth.
IMPORTANT! This fabric requires special delicacy in work. It is not worth stretching it in order to avoid the appearance of a hole in place of just a hook.
Usually, a denim jacket does not “creep” from a hold. And in the event of a “lingering” defect, it is hidden on the inside.
- A needle with a wide and long eye is inserted so that only it protrudes from the center of the hook from above.
- The puff is inserted into the eyelet and pulled out to the wrong side, then swept to the fabric.
As an alternative, place some kind of emblem, appliqué, embroidery on the place of the tightening on denim trousers, or deliberately pierce the pants.
Puffs on tights / stockings are an extremely common phenomenon, but they have learned to cope with them, excluding only very thin — up to 40 den — products. The algorithm of actions is completely similar to the process of getting rid of puffs on delicate fabrics, picking up the thinnest possible needle.
If the loop has become not just a puff, but also turned into a long track, it is carefully picked up, as already described above in the knitwear example.
What not to do when you see a puff
- You can not pull the thing from side to side.
- You can not stretch the matter, especially knitwear and synthetics.
- For thread cutting, especially from the outside, standard scissors are not suitable.
- Do not attempt to remove the defect by machine washing at high speed.
Textiles are prone to snags and snags, but if properly cared for, the risk can be minimized. Prevention of puffs is not at all difficult.
- Before washing the product, you should study the information on the label. For each fabric — especially delicate ones — a different machine wash cycle is recommended. Especially delicate items are best washed by hand.
- In order not to accelerate wear, things are not recommended to be washed too often, especially in an intensive mode, with excessively hot water and with intensive spinning.
- It is recommended to wash delicate items such as tights, underwear or dresses made of silk and chiffon in a laundry bag that will prevent such defects from appearing.
- Do not get carried away with soaking and using aggressive chemicals. Because of this, the fabric wears out faster, and the holds run the risk of appearing more intensely.
- When washing, the use of an air conditioner is encouraged, which creates a film with protective characteristics that improves the wear resistance of the threads.
- Wet clothes should not be twisted or tumble dried.
- Not cheap toilets made of delicate textiles should be stored in cases so that the puffs do not appear, catching on some detail of other clothing such as rhinestone decoration, and then not to ask the question “how to remove the hooks from clothes?”
Tightening and snags on fabric are a familiar problem for everyone. Having studied the proposed options for getting rid of puffs on clothes, these defects can be easily dealt with, no matter what fabric you have to deal with.